Thursday 14 February 2019

News from Nowhere III




You know, I stop sometimes at an unknown town
and every market place and every street,
the parking lots, the concrete ramps sloping down,
the face of every stranger I chance to meet,

the sudden lunge of a voice by a window,
the rising noise of an approaching bus,
its windshield gleaming, mirror worked leaf shadows –
they are all you, all of it's about us.

The lampposts blink in the dark – power’s out,
the stars too blink and gulp in unison,
a blind busker tap-taps to the roundabout.

And even though I’m far from the river mouth,
I’m still with you, and still with our horizons,
however far east or west, north or south.








As in most other years, I'm doing my own version of love poems to mark the month, though I'm not a big believer in V-day.  But I'm perfectly fine with anyone celebrating V-day, love and let love is the general policy around here. And who wants to argue about getting more chocolate, right? It's all good, whichever way it's celebrated. Love can run deep in an aquifer, or it can be a gushing hot spring, or a steady-serene, glassy surfaced lake. If you want to splash out, splash out, and if you want to be free, be free. 


To paraphrase another great - there are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the beloved. Just keep the knees flexible. 

Happy Valentine's.

18 comments:

  1. and no matter where you are, there's a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    How I long for flexible knees again! finding the Love in the dark reaches and distant beaches is a might find thing. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those knees are metaphorical - kneeless or kneeful, there are still a thousand ways..

      Delete
  3. In my supple as a brick state I echo Yam.
    And strive to love each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a thing or two about concrete knees too! :)

      Delete
  4. That was a lovely and affectionate poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the analogy of water to describe different kinds of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love takes the shape of the container :) ...glad you liked the analogy, thanks.

      Delete
  6. I thought of my aching knees too. How I miss the body that took no thought. But love is forever, aching knees or not. and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Body that took no thought' - I wish too! But love, and the mind, age from the outside in.

      Delete
  7. There are some people who seem to be part of every memory and every experience. They're not always good people, and the fact that they are indeed part of everything is not always a good thing.

    I noticed a long time ago, that whenever you'd had a break-up, or a bout of unrequited love, or anything else unpleasant that involved love, every song you hear reminds you of that other person. Sad song? Yeah, that's how I feel. Happy song? That's how we used to be! Even when you were never really with that other person, a sad song fits your emotions and a happy song is what could have been if you'd ever gotten together... It can be pretty pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it can be brutal if you're trying to get over a breakup. Especially if everything else remains the same - the environment, the social circle, there's no escape route to get to the place where you can move on. There is no reasoning that can be applied, whether the person was good or bad or if there are 'other fish' or not. You ache for one particular fish and that fish only, full stop.

      Would you say age helps to get some perspective?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it has in my case. But you bring up a great point about having an escape route. I once did a post about my own fool-proof recipe for getting over someone: https://silverfoxlair.blogspot.com/2011/11/advice-to-lovelorn-theme-thursday.html

      Delete
    3. Just been over. Good advice! :)

      Delete