Monday 22 January 2018

Written in blacks and whites and greys


You wrote me like a poem, a tracing
of water on a metal plate
a single blade of grass, subtly lacing
and weaving the breeze into a fete;


you wrote me like the plumes of dust devils
gently blur the horizons, spiked
lines that danced on the page, couldn’t keep still
and went off the edge as they liked;


you wiped me off too, like the savannahs
after rain, pockmarked with blossoms,
carry the sounds of slowly fading cars,
erase the gleam with clumsy thumbs.


You wrote me down and then you tore me up

flung me into the grass and into love.

10 comments:

  1. I read this a little while ago, and went away and thought about it. If the black, the white and the grey were replaced with ebony, pearl and silver would the meaning change. I suspect so. Words are so very powerful.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words are powerful indeed, they can change so much of the meanings. It would be very special to be written in ebony, pearl and silver - love the image you've created here!

      Delete
  2. this poem made me think back to your post on all the grasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that's what I was thinking of too while writing.

      Delete
  3. Change has a way of doing that to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. That last line really makes me wonder. It almost sounds like someone poorly treated has found another love on the rebound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome feeling when something written here is taken up by a reader and infused with his/her own interpretations and meanings. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hi Nila - I was thinking etching ... which can't be reversed - but sad she was written down then written off ... whites, blacks and greys ... we never know what is written. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etching is such a lovely word...indeed we can never know what's written.

      Delete