Monday 6 June 2022

Arches

 




I’ve travelled far from those streets, the cobblestones

of long ago, those arches of ancient times.

We’ve been stoic and gone our separate ways

I’ve taken my leave and carried on alone

farther and farther, yielding to paradigms

of unknown worlds, through years and lightyears of space.

My days have morphed to roads and my roads to days.

 

Some figment persists. A yearning for those streets.

In the dark I’ve searched the skies for the same stars,

strained my ears for the river’s tuneful night call,

stood unshod to feel cobbles beneath my feet.

But it’s asphalt now. The river writes memoirs.

And different stars get in late after nightfall.

There are no guides pointing back, no protocols.





Last week I came across a bit of random news - pale and inconspicuous among all the more monumental epoch-making and -breaking headlines - potential WWIII and the one on feminism and women's rights, the last of an era jubilee, the shocking sudden collapse and death of a well known Bollywood singer right after a concert in my hometown...this was a snippet on my feed about an ancient derelict building being restored over many years by two private individuals and being used for a public library. In a city that was once home but is now unlikely to be visited in this lifetime again. C'est la vie...mostly a one way street...







6 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    How wonderful to find such a gem among the dross! To have the sparkling of memory, albeit tempered with passing away of connection as these things must... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much dross, so few gems! but both thankfully transient.

      Delete
  2. A one way street or a random brain circuit that keeps it in your memory. And now your poem keeps it alive for all of us too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No accounting for the randomness of that circuit! thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Hi Nila - The river writes memoir ... the road goes through arches ... we each find our own cobbled path, broken occasionally ... only to be cobbled together again for our onward journey ... life ... it flows on - I do love your poems - they give me food for thought in my own journey. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that we find our own cobbled path through the arches. So much wisdom in your words, Hilary. Thanks.

      Delete