Friday 5 May 2017

Agley



Listen, I’ll be late back on Monday.
Again?!
No, it’s not what you think.
Yeah?
I’ve an interview.
I didn’t know you were looking for a change, dearest.
Well, no. It isn’t that kind of interview.
Really? What kind then?
It is a job interview, but I’m not a serious candidate.
What? Then why are you going?
Oh because I’m a filler.
What’s a filler?
There’s this big shot over to recruit some fin props for his company. Anupam has to line up some authentic looking candidates, he asked me to help out. So I’ll be dropping in after work. Can’t refuse a friend in a spot.
Oh I see. Pity.  There was this play on…
I’ll tell Anupam to wiggle my name in early. Don’t want to be stuck there forever. But I might be late.
Okay.

***

There’s a bit of a problem.
Now what?
My name’s got through to the second round.
So? Why’s that a problem?
It’s a waste of time. His and mine. More his than mine.
I thought you were doing it for Anupam?
Yeah, I am. But it’s a pain all the same.

***

Why are you looking like a nuclear disaster?
Dreadful thing’s happened - I got the job! Soon as I walked in he made me an offer. Asked if I had a passport. I was dumbfounded! What am I going to do now?
Did you call Anupam? It’s his mess. He ought to get you out of it. Hang on, passport?? Where is this job?
I’ve never even heard of it.  Have you? Some place called Bahrain.
Yeah, vaguely. Don't know anything about it though.
I don’t know where in the world it is!
Well, look it up in the atlas then. What are you going to do? Accept?
What do you think I am, crazy? How -? Never thought about going abroad at all. Not plan A. Not B or C even.

***

So naturally, six months later we were here.

Best-laid schemes o’ mice and men. Gang aft agley. 
We were experts at agley. 
Still are. 



30 comments:

  1. Isn't that the way of life?
    I Saw It On Facebook at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agley, like most of the less travelled paths, takes us to some incredible places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agley gets to places Plans A & B can't ever!

      Delete
  3. Well, we did get an enjoyable poem out of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahrain was a big move. But it sounds like it agrees with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bully the moves till they agree to agree :) The biggest move though, wasn't Bahrain. It was West Africa when I was a child, a different continent and double the distance.

      Delete
  5. This was even more engaging knowing it was true, Nila. What a fun way to relate! I'd love to know more about Bahrain. You've certainly lived in some exotic places. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived in teeny tiny ' smaller than a village' type places and then been thrown into big 'Eastern' cities with their characteristic chaotic, congested and rich lives. Both have their own brands of fun. :-)

      Delete
  6. It was lovely to learn a little more about you and I didn't expect that you had "mistakenly" arrived in the Middle East this way. Excellent poem :)
    Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistakenly takes up huge spaces in the story of my life :)

      Delete
  7. so enjoyed your story and how life follows its own way ! thanks for sharing :)
    Moon
    https://aslifehappens60.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life generally follows its own blueprint while we are busy perfecting our Plans A, B and contingency :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Nila - wonderful word .. I must remember it. Great poem with a delightful result - otherwise I wouldn't have your A-Z posts to enjoy ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have seen and learnt half the things I did and my life would have been poorer for it for sure.

      Delete
  9. This was poetry at it's best. Well done. Loved the read.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes life surprises you like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love being surprised from time to time :)

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed the post. Especially loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. The ending at any rate is 100% true :)

      Delete
  12. Best laid plans go awry. Sounds like "not being a candidate" turned out great. Good for you and to saying yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always saying yes! sometimes it gets me into trouble :)

      Delete
  13. Don't you just love adventures! Sounds like you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Life is what happens when you are making other plans, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! The fact that you're so open to adventures is delightful, and no doubt attracts even more to you.

    ReplyDelete