Sunday 6 August 2017

The Rib



You’re my secret tunnel, and its trapdoor -
the small hollows in the wood polished smooth
by my feet and years on the darkened floor,
my failsafe escape from the harshest of truths.
You’re the last port, and the transit en route,
the compass, the pole, earth’s magnetic core.
You’re my rainshine and sundrop, and my pursuit
of happy and hallowed and evermore.

You’re my inner courtyard, and its crack where
a banyan raises its tentative shoot.
You’re home, and wider world, and city squares,
open café terrace, intimate stairs.
You are stillness, and restless, and uproot.
You’re the art in heart, the rib in tribute.




As I'm travelling through the summer/monsoons, my posts are scheduled but I will be checking in as and when I can buy, beg, borrow or steal a net connection :) Have a great week!



20 comments:

  1. This is truly lovely. A love song for all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Back now on a steady connection, phew!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, you captured what I feel for my husband.
    Your writing is absolutely sublime. Take care and I hope your travels are good. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! that's such a high when a piece resonates to this degree. Totally made my day.

      Delete
  3. This was so lovely it brought tears to my eyes.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful composition. Feeling brought to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin. Your critique means a lot. Especially of love poetry :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful love poem, Nila. I hope you're enjoying your travels and managing to snaffle some internet connections. '...the rib in tribute.' How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My travels were too hectic this time, but very enjoyable. Went off revisiting the Taj dunno if that's what inspired the poetry :D Back now and working on my WEP post, and others.

      Delete
  6. Hi Nila - the rib for life ... so essential to our being. Loved the poem and the way you brought the rib to us ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the rib is what encloses the heart. Thanks, Hilary!

      Delete
  7. Safe travels!
    That is how I feel about both my wife and my Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex! that is simply the best compliment you could have paid this piece! The ideal love poem blurs the borders between the romantic and spiritual imho - so pleased to have achieved that - thank you!

      Delete
  8. It must be wonderful -- at first I wrote "nice" but felt that word was inadequate -- to feel so close to another person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, to have an escape route in one person/entity is superbly wonderful. You're so good at summing up things! Thanks for being here.

      Delete