Monday 23 December 2019

Take it back!




I refuse to shrink to a plastic card,
a stamped deed for a factory or courtyard,
an affidavit, a certificate,
a timid thumbprint on some ancestral debt.

Not for me your laws on citizenship.
I am the soil, the berth, the landing strip.
I’m the weed, the waving grass, the creeping vine
that covers the rubble of all your designs.

I grow everywhere out of all the cracks
in your architectures of bills and acts.
How will you stop me? - I’m the rolling clod
which is small in size but its world is broad.

No, not for me your thoughtless wall and fence,
I’m the tiny blade and the soil immense.




I was planning a nice feel good festive post this week, but what with all that's going on back home, kind of impossible to achieve.  

Season's greetings to you and yours and warmest wishes for an awesome New Year 2020!




8 comments:

  1. Hooray for the tiny blade and the soil immense. We NEED both, perhaps more than we realise.
    Heartfelt hugs, best wishes for the season, and hope for kinder years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you. Me too hoping for gentler years.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    It's just crazy... the whole world has fallen back upon this 'them and us' policy making. Lessons to be learned yet again. Your words are wonderful, Nila.

    Thank you for the greetings and I surely return them to you tenfold. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoroughly fed up with the policies and policy makers.

      Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  3. I am trying to get into the holiday spirit over here, but it's hard with the evil stalking the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kristin. Very disheartening. But I am still hopeful. Things will get back on track someday.

      Delete
  4. stay small and persevere. The meek shall inherit the earth. Your voice rings pure in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying small. Persevering as best as I can. Thank you for this reminder. Very timely, very motivating.

      Delete