Monday 5 July 2021

Clean windows

 



The window cleaners visit and squish soap

and the foam spells out your name on the pane

but when I stop to look closer, it’s wiped off

just a few faint watery streaks remain.

 

Meanwhile, the doves have abandoned their nest

two dead eggs lie on the sill on their own

a few scattered twigs, a faint streak of dust

the cleaners brush off the rest – the doves are gone.

 

Your name’s in the birdsongs, the doves and pigeons

that perch to shelter from the midday heat

but when I lean in closer to listen

it’s just the sounds of urban homes and streets.

 

An airplane’s overhead and in its contrail

your name glimmers once, before the light fails.







12 comments:

  1. How true it is. I too catch glimpses of the people I love and mourn out of the corner of my eye. Repeatedly. I see them, I hear them, and a windblown scent brings them to mind... And yes, they ARE still there, in every facet of our day. Invisible, but present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, their presence is at once elusive and ubiquitous, can't explain how but it is.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Yes, I had such a glimmer in the summer rain today... Meanwhile, so sorry for the doves! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, shine, clouds, the glimmers are everywhere..

      Delete
  3. Always a glimmer. And alas, the doves nests just don't last.
    I figure my mother was hanging out in the breeze last night as we watched fireworks. She always loved sparklers. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed the window was opened - presume that was why the nest was abandoned. Glad you had a sparkly 4th, different from last year!

      Delete
  4. My memories surface in the morning as I lay awake but not yet prepared to rise. With no defenses or distractions, thoughts steal in. I could envision the watery streaks and empty nest of your evocative poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'They flash upon that inward eye/Which is the bliss of solitude...'

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! You capture reality in such a surreal way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Renee, glad you enjoyed the poetry! Life has been a whole pile of stuff lately and surreal is a part of that :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Nila - great poem ... we remember at strange times ... but always remember. Sad about the eggs not getting a chance ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, felt quite gutted that she abandoned them...but window sill incubation is super precarious anyway, so much potential disturbance...

      Delete