Monday 10 October 2022

Can't Get Her Out of My Head

 





A crumpled-mangled scarf lies on the ground,

it’s been rendered colourless by the sun,

it once had the tiny thumbprints of a dream

but now it’s as bleached as a skeletal scream,

she’d let the edge slip an inch – she was young,

she may’ve forgotten that even a gleam,

even a minute inch can bring dreams down.

 

Someone creates a monument to her hair

and to those who dream and so let their scarves slip.

The blades of grass cannot be outnumbered,

each ends in a point, each is unencumbered

by laws of mortal men and leadership.

Let those whose scarves slip be always remembered

in each word and silence, across city squares.



I'm still with her, can't get over what's happened and don't think I should or even want to. I'm in awe of  that memorial sculpture but we'd all be better off if there were no motivation to create it in the first place. The image is a screengrab from Dezeen which I can't seem to credit w/o linking back to my 'edit post' page. Weirdness unlimited, part of the same pattern. 

Personally I've had a bizarre week, which was the main festival  (Navaratri/Durgapuja) for my community - started off with a super spooky electrical fault like nothing I've experienced in my life. The power had to be shut off, piles of frozen stuff thrown away and we had to ultimately move to the guest house till the conduits were plucked out and re-laid. Back now and all running as normal. 

But my challenges pale into insignificance compared to what women elsewhere face daily. Thankful for all that I was/am given, for every challenge and its final outcome. 

Shubho Bijoya! to you if you're celebrating, and happy week if you're not. May there be much beauty for your eyes, sweets for your tongue and freedom and peace wherever in the world you are.


12 comments:

  1. That is a simply glorious sculpture. And yes, my heart aches with and for so many people across the world whose dreams have been ripped apart and trampled on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Glad that your electrical issues could be resolved.

      Delete
    2. Quite ordinary dreams, things that shouldn't even be in dreams because they are rights actually - are getting trampled upon. That's what is so upsetting.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    It is an amazing monument, but I agree - rather the inspiration had not been there... sorry to hear you had such disruption for Navratri. Then again - renewal! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always an opportunity for some personal renewal in every catastrophe. Happy to submit to whatever the Navaratri sent, or any other ratri too. :)

      Delete
  3. So many pluses and minuses in the world and even in just daily life. I hear you. I read you. I'm with you. Will the math of life ever add up neatly? Thanks for writing and posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the math doesn't ever add up neatly, but we both are cool with whatever the untidy sum is. Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  4. That is powerful and moving and a perfect fit with the image.
    Sorry about the power issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my small power issue is resolved, all good. But the bigger power issues remain, unfortunately. No light at the end of that tunnel anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. HI Nila - amazing to see that sculpture and its origins; I looked up Tim Fu - and noted his Studio ... c/o Tim is a Canadian architectural designer at Zaha Hadid Architects in London, UK. Extraordinary designs there ... the scarf whose hair it covered renders actual visuals from Iran. Clever poem to go with the image - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete