Monday 17 October 2022

Cursory Rhyme

 


One, two.

No, I don't. Maybe I do.

Three, four.

What's that bit of paper for?

Five, six.

Oil and water never mix.

Seven, eight.

Not easy to keep it straight.

Nine, ten.

Don't undo, let's try again?

Eleven, twelve.

I can do it! - with your help.

Thirteen, fourteen.

Priorities need some sorting.

Fifteen, sixteen.

All quite streamlined, and pristine.

Seventeen, eighteen.

Close windows and get offscreen.

Nineteen, twenty.

That enough? is that plenty? 



Talking about numbers - I had zero intentions of posting this, in fact I'd sat down with a completely different idea but this rhyme muscled its way in and wrote itself at top speed and then vanished and  also annihilated the other idea, far more well thought out and planned, I must tell you. I couldn't find a trace of it anywhere afterwards. Is it just me or does this happen to you as well? This lightning bolt idea that mushrooms out of nowhere and obliterates everything previously planned in a head-on mega collision that gives the big bang a run for its money? No, okay...just me then.


Btw, I've just completed six months in Fiji. With my usual unmindfulness, the day slipped by before I noticed. But the great thing was my nephew and his family were here visiting and we met up for dinner and had an entirely wonderful time, so it didn't go unmarked or uncelebrated. And the frangipanis are blooming now. Singly or in bunches of eight to ten. Love that family of flowers too.  




11 comments:

  1. You are not alone. On the rare occasions I sit down to write sometimes things other than what I had planned intrude. Insistently.
    Probably better to let them out.
    Six months? How did that happen? I am so glad that you could mark the time with a family visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad not to be alone, phew! And you're right, better out than in.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    The answer to the questiong is YES it happens to me too... and wow, six months already. The year really is racing along. I envy you the fragrance of the frangis!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the year of the vanishing week! Last week it was the fam vis this week is WEP and Diwali prep...each week just comes and goes like a puff of smoke...

      Delete
  3. Sorry you lost your original idea. Glad you enjoyed time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not though, on second thoughts. It'll come back if it's meant to. Otherwise it wasn't worth much anyway.

      Delete
  4. Me too. Ray and I call it the "squirrel" moment - like how a dog must suddenly pause to bark at a squirrel. Off to another tangent. Also - 6 months already in Fiji - wow. Seems like you were just starting that adventure. Funny how time just blends. Sounds like a good family visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrel moment nails it exactly! Too many squirrels in my life :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Nila - that's a fun poem ... clever - so I'm glad your brain decided it needed to be told. Don't ask about 'losing' ideas and words ... life is catching up!

    Six months in Fiji - amazing, but so wonderful to have your nephew and his family visiting at that time.

    Oh oh Frangipani - such an evocative scent ... I loved it when I was South Africa ... gorgeous ... I love reading and hearing about your time in Fiji - excellent to learn about ... and then to read your intriguing poems - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiji's a great friendly place. Has its downside too like everything and all of us. No complaints after six months. Glad you enjoyed my mushroom poem.

      Delete
  6. Wow, six months! I envy you, cause I love Japan so much :) Lovely words Nilanjana. I've been there too.

    ReplyDelete