Monday 14 November 2022

Easy peasy

 


Living in a house with umbrellas hasn’t been

something given for the longest time. The rain

comes but rarely in the desert. I’ve only seen

a rainbow there once, though some places do contain

the word within themselves, in their very name -

it feels aspirational – more a hankering.

In the local language it’s simply not the same -

the vowel sound, the suffix, mean quite different things.

 

I watch it come down, drip from the overhang of

the porch, umbrellas shut and open like moth wings

colours darkened by a shade, bedewed, glistening,

and climb back into rain compatible living,

the feel of damp laundry, dark, moistened earth. Love

comes easy - for the desert, for the rain falling.




For those who are interested, the project of the celebratory Love Song of the UnPrufrock in nine parts is coming along nicely, seven done, two more to go, so more than halfway there in less than half the month - good progress. I've been dabbling in other love songs in between...






11 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Ah, wet stuff. All too familiar here, I fear. Despite knowing the value to others, right here, we could do with less and it is far from romantic! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly when I had to navigate the waterlogged streets of Calcutta to get to work in the mornings. But they have mellowed with time :)

      Delete
  2. Having been through drought I prefer rain - even when it falls in inconvenient and sometimes dangerous amounts. And a rainbow improves any day in which it appears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have got a better grasp of the fact that nature is not there for my convenience as I've grown older. Rainbows are a total delight anytime.

      Delete
  3. We are in a welcome rainy spell in Texas - plenty of words for the downpours and once in a while, a glorious rainbow. Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rains are back with me too and it is all rather enjoyable as well as inconvenient simultaneously.

      Delete
  4. The temps went down to freezing here in Atlanta, GA. but they say in a few days it'll warm up and rain. We got a lot of rain when hurricane Ian came through. But we needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read an article that identified Atlanta as the best city to live in, in the USA, wow! Rain - seems to be either too much or too little, there's no exact amount that's just good enough. And no good time for it too for city dwellers. An altogether different perspective beyond, in the countryside.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nila - times have changed, haven't they ... we no longer know what the weather holds in store. I'm not sure why I think like that - considering I lived through the dreaded freeze-up of 1962/3 ... and now know about freezing conditions through WW2 - then I missed the Beast from the East 2018 ... now it's been 'so warm' ...

    Yet rain is life-giving ... and we're blessed to have it ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete