Sunday 6 November 2022

Learning to be more catty

 



If like a cat, I had nine lives, that is, eight

more to go, I’d choose to be married to you

for seven as the sacred texts indicate

anyway, maybe I’d swap to a man to

see if I liked it in one, and then change back.

For the last, I’d take that round-the-world trip, not

in eighty days though. I’d find a way to pack

the important things. I’d learn to sail a boat,

to grow a tree from seed, to write in blank verse.

I’d waste less days searching for that perfect rhyme,

fill them instead with the words of foremothers.

Read more Bengali poets from scratch this time.

I’d live more deep, look more closely at the dew.

Leave more space for wonder. Leave more space for you.







November happens to be a month of personal celebrations of various kinds. This week,  I'm celebrating through the writing of a series of nine sonnets, here is the first of them. A celebration and a thanksgiving for the guy who's stuck around staunchly for more than half my life...despite the shortage of elbow room...





14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Ah, sweet! The experiment worked. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. And hooray for those staunch standbyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Life is made bearable/beautiful by them. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. HI Nila - what a great way to celebrate a month of anniversaries - congratulations ... I look forward to reading the others ... lovely - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. Not all are happy, but I'm grateful for the dodgy ones too. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely poem and sweet celebration. ( I do think that if you made it through the pandemic alive with that certain someone, and can still laugh together, then you both passed the biggest test) (2020 and 2021 were 9 lives rolled into two years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yeah! The worst two never ending years of our collective lives I am sure.

      Delete
  5. I know I'm blessed my wife has stuck around all of these years. Wouldn't waste any life on anyone else but her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sound policy not to waste time. Congratulations!

      Delete
  6. So sweet. And you still have years left in this life, so you can still pack some of those futures into this one, leaving the next free for unimaginable wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin. Not telling him that though, about years left in this one...might give him the wrong idea about taking things easy... I'm going with I might die tomorrow so carpe diem on the double, pardner! :D

      Delete