Sunday 4 December 2022

Solo Dinners in Front of the TV

 




It's fine in the daytime, there are children

on the grass, noisy buses going past,

the incessant birds, faraway workmen.

The dark palm wood beams sloping upwards cast

shadows familiar for months. But when

darkness falls, the lights come on, traffic thins,

I heat a meal for one - rice or ramen,

bread and soup. You're away, you won't be in

so I eat at the frantic screens, the phone

and TV turned to their loudest volume

to mimic company while I'm alone.

A fake calm puddled in the empty room.

That is when the walls snarl, concrete and chrome

bare their fangs. This no longer feels like home.




I am travelling, off to a place that does feel like home no matter who or what is in it. :) I'll be moving around visiting family so I'll catch up with you as and when I can. The WEP Challenge is on this month and I'm the cohost for Dec so of course I'll be present there through the month. 


Wishing you happy holidays, peace, good health and happiness throughout the coming year. A very merry Christmas to all those who are celebrating and a happy, healthful and tranquil New Year 2023 to you. 



10 comments:

  1. Thanks Nila - so glad I don't feel like that ... I'm content on my own, equally happy with family and friends ...

    Enjoy your time away ... and see you in the New Year - thanks for the WEP shout out and your 'contented' comment on my WEP post ... cheers - and enjoy trailing spouse!! With thoughts and best wishes for the rest of the year and into 2023 - cannot believe that! ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots to enjoy for sure! I can't believe this year's over either...just weird how fast the world is spinning.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I too am happy in my own company - though I do have the etherwebs to fill any 'space'! Happy travels, my dear, and all the very best as we see in another year. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yamini. Happy New Year 2023 to you too.

      Delete
  3. Safe travels, enjoy friends and family, holiday times, and peace and quiet too. If on my own, I tend to cook and eat at the table while reading printed matter. I'm not keen on talking heads, for sure. Good poem though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand the noise of the TV now but there were times when I was (a lot) younger when I used to leave it on as background noise to my evenings while I did whatever else I had to do. Now I'm at the computer screen rather than the TV... and I've learned to prize silence. Glad you enjoyed the poem.

      Delete
  4. I relish some time on my own and the television stays firmly off.
    Love your poem - and wish you safe and happy travels. And holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. One can never have too much me-time! :) Happy holidays to you too.

      Delete