Sunday 18 December 2022

Year end 2K22 : Not Just a Christmas Thing

 


One year, many years ago when the blog was still a toddler unsteady on its legs, my father and I got into a discussion about Irene Rutherford's poem 'Is Love Then So Simple?' That spun off many responses in my head and one of them was this 'ereunder. Reposting it because it felt particularly appropriate just now.





Love Is Not Just a Christmas Thing

I’ll love you with the dance in my bones
and the pigeon calls in my veins
with the soil of my flesh and its stones,
the bungled belly laugh in my brains.


I’ll love you when the dances get dim
when the anklets draw hooks and blood
when pirouette is brimstone and grim
the last thrash of fish on the mud.


I’ll love you when the tinsel’s trash
when the tree’s just needles on the floor
all festive is only one flash,
and the dark is the maw of the door.


I’ll love you still when the music thins
under the amber songs of dawnskins.







It's been an extraordinary year - the good, the bad and the ugly. The challenges have been many - some earth shattering, some just a pinprick, but then so have the high points.

But...at this time, every year end, the bad and the ugly somehow drain away and only the residues of the good remain, like the faint smear of sand on fingers that have been building sandcastles on the beach for too long. That can't be dusted away no matter how hard I try. Has to be properly scrubbed off under the shower, now that it's dark and play must be taken indoors. 

However, I have to confess I'm not taking that shower yet. As I am content to go around with the grit under my nails and inside my shoes, ever so slightly uncomfortable but welcome still because it originates from a place of happiness.  Thankful for everything the year has brought me, the learning that has happened, the castles that have been built and those that fell and/or never got finished. Everything has its place in the wider scheme of things and nothing is ever wasted, not even a grain...my mother, Arundhati, used to say that often.

The advantage of having a mother who was named after a star is that I just have to look up at the night sky and there she is....still twinkling down at me with all her wisdom and laughter and life lessons and love and constancy, still steadfastly beside her partner star in the heavens. Both my parents have been with me all through this year - the farther I travel out from the centre, the closer they watch over me and my family, the deeper and broader their presence feels in my life, both present and past. And hopefully in the future too. 

Wishing you all the joys of this festive season. Happiness, peace and plenty of sandcastles to build in 2023. See you in the New Year!

5 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Season's Greetings all the way from here to there in return, Nila!

    Thank you for alerting me to a poet of whom I knew nothing... and am still a little lost about. There is surprisingly little to be found beyond the basic bio and beyond this, and the poem Lone Dog, almost nowhere has other; Eaglesweb does have Song and When My Love Sleeping Lies.

    My goto place for such, Poetry Foundation has none of her work and the only reference contained there is an impression of a 1917 critique of her second pamphlet which isn't exactly glowing!

    However back to this one you share today - and it struck me immediately... I had written a poem some decades back which resembles this; instead of geology/biology though, I used meteorology. So of course I love this one! Have a good break and see you on the other side of the year. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not all over the net, actually I've seen very little of her. Bartleby might be where I found her originally...but I remember only reading Is Love Then So Simple and Lone Dog by her, both of which I like immensely.
      Thank you for the wishes, and the music, and the photos. <3

      Delete
  2. The truths you share are so often beautiful and powerful - and yes, they also often contain grit. Learning, growing grit.
    Many, many thanks and I look forward to seeing more of you, more from year in the year(s0 to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nila - you make us think ... or give us the opportunity to consider life - it has sure been a strange year ... but I love that your mother was named after a star and is always there high in the heavens with her life partner both looking out for you. As EC says - grit is all around, but there's love too.

    I too just had a look for Irene Rutherford ... but like Yam little success - I'll keep my eyes open; Wiki has some information and one of her daughter's married a cousin (Christopher Robin Milne)! ...

    I would like for peace to be at the fore in 2023 - wishing you and the family all the very best ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best to you Nila - the grit that is love and more. Your writing once again just captures the feels. Peace my friend. Let's face the challenges of 2023 with blog love and good cheer.

    ReplyDelete