Monday 10 April 2023

Heavy

 

One of the factors that makes Fiji a great holiday destination is its mild climate without extremes of heat and cold. Fiji has a tropical maritime climate characterised by heavy rainfall, particularly in the eastern side of Viti Levu. The western sector falls on the dry zone of the Nausori Highlands and therefore receives less precipitation. 


Rainbow over the Pacific. Tropical showers are common in Fiji.



Even on the hottest day temperatures remain at around 31/32 deg C. Sea breezes are typical in the coastal regions of both the main islands of Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. Through out the year, there are trade winds over Fiji blowing from south east to north west.  

 

Overcast sky in Lautoka. 

However, some areas are flood prone, and Fiji does get severe weather from time to time. Cyclones occur about once in two years and can cause extensive damage - severe tropical cyclone Harold, for instance, happened in April 2020 and damaged nearly 2000 buildings, and destroyed a further 575 completely, mainly in the Eastern division.  


It did not just affect Fiji but the entire South Pacific region, starting off in Papua New Guinea and passing through Tonga, Vanuatu, Fiji and Solomon Islands. The damage was huge and ran into many million dollars. The cyclone season lasts from November till April, coinciding with the wet season. 


The most recent one was cyclone Cody in January 2022. Also wreaked havoc and damages were massive. 


Clear weather over Fiji in March at the end of cyclone season.





All this month I'll be writing about Aspects of Fiji, which is where I'm at the mo. And where the sum of its heavenly parts is greater than the whole!



Did you know that the weather phenomena classified as a hurricane in the Northern Hemisphere, it's called a cyclone in the South Pacific? While the hurricanes spin in a counterclockwise direction up north, in the south the direction of spin changes to clockwise due to the Coriolis effect


And did you know that Fiji has a heritage of the most astounding handicrafts? Wood carving, mother-of-pearl, shell, bark-cloth, baskets, masks, clubs, fishing tackle and a whole heap of other, superbly crafted articles the skills handed down from one generation to the next? Find out more here.




Now that the A-Z sign up list is finally closed, I'm happy to say I've started reading in earnest and gosh, the bad links make it heavy going! There are invalid ones and those that require me to subscribe before I comment or sign in with Facebook or some others I've never heard of. Makes me ache for the days of the helpers and hosts, old timers will know what I mean. :)  But heigh-ho, onward and upward...here next cometh I! - hope that's grammatically shipshape...or hunky dory if you prefer...



~ Thank you for reading ~




Posted for the A-Z Challenge 2023  

10 comments:

  1. I did know about Fijiian handicrafts. One of my brothers lived there for several years as a work posting. That weather is tooo hot for my wimpy self though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the Middle East, these temps are literally a breeze! :)

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    ...except when they are called typhoons! (Pacific northwest - Japan/China/Korea area)... this was a fun post as you dug for those aitches! And yes, I found the A-Z signup thing far to labour intensive even four years back which I why I swapped to the Indian-based one at Blogchatter. That truly remains fun - although this year other things kept me from participating. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with the sign up, it's the bad links and rule breakers that aren't removed that I find mildly upsetting...in its initial years the cohosts used to remove those links from the list, a check every week, a grace period and then chop! Good old days when participants didn't have to waste time...But then the sign ups used to be some thousand plus, so there's that also.

      Delete
  3. I need to check the latest signups, I'm already at over 40 blogs I'm following in A-Z. As to comments, I opened mine up as much as I could because of these types of frustrations. Both mine are WordPress so the only restriction I have is a new commenter has to be approved once, and no more than 3 links in the comment.

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped leaving links because 1. I don't want to risk Google blacklisting me as a spammer which they tend to do at the drop of a hat 2. People who want to visit will visit anyways, and people who don't want to won't no matter what I do.
      I do my thing, they do theirs.
      I'm cool with that. :)

      Delete
  4. I found the sign up sheet too full of dead ends so I end up circling around a few sites. I have found several new ones.
    I knew about cyclones, hurricanes and typhoons. And crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, more ends dead than I can manage in a day.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for visiting A Dig Artist's Diary's Letter H. I'm returning the visit and so happy to be here. Wow, what a special and lovely place to call Home. I so enjoyed learning about your weather patterns. Being an artists myself, I'm somewhat familiar with the arts and crafts of the very talented craftsman on your island. Such a rich history of passing down skills and appreciation for craftsmanship and history.
    Thanks for hanging in with the Master List...it is a bit more to navigate than in the early days of the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for returning the visit and your lovely feedback. Much appreciated.

      Delete