Monday 17 April 2023

Orchids

 ...well, yeah, they are the obvious choice, no two ways about it! This is going to be 90% piccies and 10% words.


I'm just going to mention Raymond Burr, we'll come back to him later  again...and I'll say a word about the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, which houses a astounding collection of the flowers. 


The Garden is a short drive from Nadi, it's not just orchids, there are massive ancient trees that take one's breath away, lily ponds, picnic areas, and a gentle climb to a look out with gorgeous views. 


An overwhelming yes vote to visiting. 

























But you don't necessarily have to go off to a botanical garden to see beautiful flowers. All of Fiji feels like a lush garden!




In Denarau Island after a rain shower.


Outside an ordinary supermarket.


All this month I'll be writing about Aspects of Fiji, which is where I'm at the mo. And where the sum of its outstanding parts is greater than the whole!


Did you know that for 3000+ years of its history, Fiji maintained a tradition of oral storytelling to preserve its origin stories for the largest chunk of three millennia? Origin stories were told and retold across generations and written down only in the last 200 years, after the European missionaries came to Fiji. Some of those early oral origin tales have been borne out by subsequent archaeological findings. More on that here



~ Thank you for reading ~




Posted for the A-Z Challenge 2023  

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderland of orchids. I've seen orchids in indoor flower shows we have each year and I've owned (and killed) my share of moth orchids. I've only seen outdoor orchids once, in southern Florida. The "ordinary orchids" by a supermarket were amazing! I am falling in love with Fiji - now, if only I could conquer my fear of flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orchids are lovely - and how I wish I could visit those gardens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are lovely.
    I have found it to be true in my family history that oral tradition is often true, or contain enough truth to move the search forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Oh yes, Ray Burr had a big interest in hybridizing orchids, I recall... and vines, I think. Was this garden one started by him, then? (You don't seem to have followed through on the connection...) I admit, exotic as they are, orchids don't overly interest me. Now, if you'd said hibiscus... 😉 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh, Nila, thanks for taking me back to a beautiful drive one hot and soggy afternoon where the climate changed amongst these beautiful lush plants. Didn't know that about Raymond Burr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I don't think most people realize how many different orchid varieties there are. When we lived in Ecuador, we visited an orchid farm. It was fascinating and so many beautiful orchids.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete