Tuesday 2 May 2023

Winding up the A-Z

 



Most years I have done the theme reveal and the reflections posts – sometimes no theme reveal but still a reflections post. And because my normal size posts for A-Z are quite shamelessly beyond any acceptable word limits – I have usually done a long version and a short version. Options are essential in my book. Not last year though. No reveal, no reflections. This year again, I didn't do a reveal - I was in India, too much going on. I don't know if this can be classified as a reflections post.

 

Any which way it's sliced, my life is split down in the middle – I exist in two parallel worlds, all expats do, not just me. In Bengal the favourite idiom for this kind of split is ‘to sail in two boats with a foot in each.’ The halves are not reflections of each other though, they are not mirror images, there is very little in common in the two lives in fact. Watertight compartmentalisation might just describe it accurately.

 

The same thing applies to what goes on offline and here online at M-i-V. Two different halves which have no common axis of symmetry around which to coalesce. Since 2020, April has been a tough baby to tackle offline due to deaths in the family, also various other less catastrophic, but still major changes. This year was no different - April was the best of times and it was the worst of times as well. I logged in here and closed the door on my other life, the one that's a little more difficult to navigate right now - sometimes I wish I could just lift one foot off one of the boats and jump into the other one and stand squarely planted there, but of course I can't do that. The blog is the next best alternative and the A-Z provided structure, direction, relief, however temporary - a toehold on sense amidst the chaos elsewhere. Just that has been enough.


I did this A-Z a little differently from last year - my name was back on the master list and I started with the idea of visiting the entire list of participants at least once. I visited more than 95%, not a bad score. What it meant was, unlike other years, I wasn't able to visit the blogs I like as frequently as I wanted to. I read wide and not deep, I ended up visiting most blogs just once or twice. This doesn't agree with me as well as I thought it would.




I found it tiresome that quite a few people signed up and then dropped out after a couple of days, and their blogs remained on the list for other bloggers to click on even at the end of April. Several blogs I visited did not have the A-Z posts upfront and easy to find, one had to rootle around to locate them, I stressed and fretted, patience is not my strong suit - but felt I had to make an honest effort because of that arbitrary goal setting. This isn't something I'm doing again, no way I'm setting this cent percent visiting target. 


For the first time this year, I didn't use the graphics that A-Z provided in my individual posts. I did have the badge up top for the benefit of first time visitors. Didn't use the alphabet badges because 1) I had rather a lot of photos to share for most posts and I didn't want to make the site even slower by making it more image-heavy. 2) I miss the original 'postmark' graphics! They were unique and uniquely associated with the A-Z and it feels strangely odd replacing that with something so radically different. I miss Jeremy Hawkins' amazing work and sense of colour that made the A-Z badges extra special. I'm not complaining about the new graphics, honest, thank you to 'Anonymous' who did the badges. And thank you to the host team who do the work to keep the A-Z going. 


Did I have fun? Mostly, except the days when I was too heartsick and couldn't compartmentalise efficiently. I'd read, or write, and the the words would jump about like drunken grasshoppers and make no sense after a few lines. No matter how hard I tried to balance on the two boats, one of them would rock most unnervingly, I'd have to switch off from blogging and focus on riding that out. 


Will I be back next year? In the years past, I've answered with a resounding yes without any hesitations. Now I am not so sure. Who knows where I'll be, what things will be like, whether I'll have any headspace left for blogging challenges after coping with the offline challenges life keeps throwing up. I'm just going to leave that decision for next year, I'll make up my mind in March 2024. There's lots of time. We'll see. 





16 comments:

  1. You've tackled a lot and should be proud. I like your image of a foot in each boat- that's tough. Take a deep yoga breath and, indeed, take each day as it comes. No need to commit.

    You are a unique writer, thinker, poet, and person. I appreciate the words you share on this blog, so I do hope you keep posting as you see fit. Cheers my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that advice about the yoga breath! I'm going to perfect my technique of one step/day at a time and I think spending my usual time here in the blogosphere in the company of old friends is just what I need. Thanks, Joanne, appreciate the support more than I can say.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I can do little more than echo Joanne's words! A-Z is hard work for posting... and an absolute slog if you set that visit all blogs goal. I only did that year one. Thereafter I opted to visit only those with which I 'chimed' and chose quality over quantity. There really just has to be commonsense! That aside, leaving the decision until it comes around again is the best choice, I'd say. Now take some time and we'll await your offerings as and when you can share them. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done that - 100% reading target, before. Strange but true. I've always cherry-picked and read without any coherent plan. And of course I've returned visits. I find that reading deep suits me better than wide. Tried 100% and nope, not for me.
      M-i-V shall forthwith revert back to the whingy poetry style, that'll calm me down in no time at all. :) <3

      Delete
  3. Like you, I didn't use the graphics for this year and I MUCH prefer the old postmark ones. I really enjoyed your posts and will follow for a bit to see if it sticks with me. {{grin}}

    I used to try to visit wide, but this year, due to my also working on my next mystery book, I culled out favorites from the list early on. Ones with topics that I knew might interest me. I was surprised to find several that never started, but none of the rest dropped out. I started with 40, went as low as 35, now back at 38. We'll see how many keep my interest as May progresses.


    Our Prime Years - Life in Tennessee
    DB McNicol - author | traveler | shutterbug
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Photographs
    Hopping thru my day - Personal Thoughts, Memories, & Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed quite a few people didn't use the letter badges. One of the old school management rules was - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That broadly sums up my feeling on Jeremy's badges, strong association with brand A-Z and unless something remarkably better comes along, difficult to dislodge from that pole position imho.
      Thanks for your support through this A-Z. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. I'm amazed you were able to do your comprehensive posts on Fiji with the other foot sailing in a different direction! I felt the same about the graphics, but did use them. I didn't have the energy to do my own and didn't think about just not using them!
    Setting that goal of visiting all the blogs sounds exhausting. Anyway, I always enjoy your posts, A to Z challenge and the rest of the year. I hope your life smooths out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! I hope so too, but not much chance of anything smoothening out till well past mid year, I'm really beginning to feel like writing off pandemic year 4 as well. Though tbh, pandemic/covid has not really made its presence felt to me so far this year.
      I am glad you enjoyed the posts, I didn't get to visit yours as much as I would have liked, intend to catch up sometime. The reading target was indeed exhausting, especially with blogs on subjects that I didn't understand/wasn't interested in, it was like trudging through knee deep treacle! :)

      Delete
  5. It takes such a commitment, but sounds like one you needed to get through April.
    I used to be that one that culled the Challenge list to get rid of people not participating. I guess they don't do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly miss the work that you and your cohosts did! It made life so much neater and fun for the participants.

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed that you visited 95% of the participants. My goodness.

    As to the dropouts...that is too bad. If I commit to something, I'm like the US postal service. Not rain, nor sleet, nor snow shall keep me from delivering. I used to do the AtoZ, but since I know I just can't complete the month, I don't sign up anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a huge number, the master list had some 200 odd names, not 2000 like the A-Z at its peak. Quite doable over a month if one is systematic. I unfortunately am anything but, my planning was faulty to begin with and bad news from home upended everything further.
      I absolutely relate to your view on keeping commitments. I have the same rulebook. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. First, congratulations. Second, I am amazed - 95%. I am saddened by what appears to be a shrinking in A to Z participants. I feel the pandemic has exhausted all of us. A lot of mental health and substance abuse problems in my United States is the tip of the worldwide iceberg of misery, if I could be permitted to mangle a cliche. I had several of the same observations as you did - dropouts (if you drop out at least write a post and tell people) and several blogs that I think maybe were still participating but I couldn't figure out how to get to the posts. Next year, for now, is not on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is saddening, the shine's gone off a bit, 95% was only possible because the numbers have come down so drastically. The worldwide iceberg of misery is exactly the term for it!

      I'm a little tired of the inconsideration that some bloggers show towards visitors - maybe they don't realise it, but I'm done with cutting them any slack. If I get back to the A-Z, which is not by any means certain, I'm not wasting time on blogs that don't have their posts updated and upfront.

      Delete