Saturday 22 July 2023

The Song of the Shifting Lessee

 




The garden has fewer flowers this year,

though there’s indeed much unseasonal rain -

that’s not enough. Water alone can’t force

flowers onto stems. Nature takes its course.

Things need light and air, that is made quite plain.

The lease is over. And departure’s near.

 

The lease is ending. Everything’s finite.

Even blooms must be exactly numbered.

Do plants grow less flowers for the lessee?

Dismiss the transient and the tenancy?

Or is this a farewell, just without words?

Maybe it boils down to a trick of light.



This is probably the last post for July. The rest of the month will go in packing up and moving back. I'll be offline for a couple days in transit and then back online here and at WEP in August. That's going to be an awesome month - online and off, for various reasons.

You have a great rest of July, see you soon. 


7 comments:

  1. I hope things go smooth with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nila - gosh ... lots going on - glad you'll be back for WEP ... the thought of packing up doesn't thrill me - good luck to you?!?!

    Interesting isn't it ... I tend to think plants always return - and they do ... as someone recently described as 'old-friends' ... always there when the time is due. Sometimes full and fruitful, other times they're around - but await Nature letting them know they can flourish. Good luck and sent with thoughts - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your move goes smoothly and well. Even the thought makes me shudder. I am looking forward to seeing you back at WEP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a good move back! here my plants are flourishing. None of them planted, a variety of tops growing up from cut trunks, poison ivy and english ivy and many other invasives. Hope your garden is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. climate change.. So much affects nature. Your poems throughout many years have been a cry. I've heard it.

    And good luck with packing, moving, etc. We are here when you can come back - no doubt with beautiful words. I count on you. Cheers my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May your move goes smoothly, Nila. Hope you return to a riotous garden in India. WEP should be fun with the Chocolat challenge. Loved having you relatively nearby, sharing the same timezone, weather and flourishing gardens (usually). My lavender is out so I'm happy! Bon Voyage, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A farewell without words - love that line. Alas, here in TX with the super heat, the farewells are a gasp and brown death. It's ridiculous. (in Tx - global warming, climate change -? nah.....) So stupid. anyway - good luck with your move. I wish you well and shall await your return of lovely poems and reflections on life changes. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete