Monday 3 July 2023

1001

 

This is a screengrab from somewhere
I forgot to note, apologies. My mum's
was different, it had a domed top 
made of glass, slightly more decorative. 
The principle was the same of course. 


I.


Mother’s first kitchen had a bamboo screen,

a four-slice toaster shaped like a carousel

the elements exposed, the frame in stainless steel

a knob of Bakelite to make the bread swivel,

small, birdcage like and nothing automatic -

the slices had to be turned, attended to,

each side evenly browned, equally crisped.

Every dish made there had something to do

with a larger mindfulness, constant presence,

a more hands on approach, a more involved love.

Mother insisted on four-slice models

through the sleeker, automatic pop ups

with regulators and covered elements

through all her relocations, all her travels.


~~*~~

 

IV.

She’s long gone, yet I sit thumbing her presence -

her pistachio green, Usha table top fan,

her progression through her successive kitchens,

her toasters and her taps in which cold water ran.

She’s long gone, more than thousand days at rough count

 and yet what I count aren’t the days of her absence,

instead dream up her transistors, and the sound

of signature tunes, the beeps at starts and ends.

They’re all gone. Pistachio green and stainless steel.

The nine o’clock siren that she set clocks by,

the clocks themselves lost in time, lying unwound.

Her hanger with her mauve georgette tie-and-dye.

I close my eyes, touch that edge and somehow feel

she’s not gone far. She’s somewhere here. That’s what counts.


~~*~~


VII. 


She’s long gone, but she’s here, not just on and off

like air that’s breathed, fluid that fills up each cell.

Constant, low grade grief’s also some sort of love,

I wouldn’t even call it grief. Hard to tell

where it ends, if it does, and breathing begins

and which exact bits of her have I inhaled,

if I forgot to breathe out what I breathed in

and how her taps, tunes, smiles and linens dovetailed

into me somewhere and can’t be prised apart.

Can grief end if love does not? does this deserve

a different name? how often our language fails!

An immense bandwidth reduced to just two words.

To binaries. With neither heads nor hearts.

Grief and she don’t quite fit, match standard thumbnails.





1001 is a charged number - the best known is the storyteller Shahrazade from the Arabian Nights.  This 1001th one is for my mother who was, no is my very first poetry teacher and one of the finest storytellers it's been my privilege to encounter. 


I've been travelling, happy travels after what feels like an aeon - I went to meet up with a schoolfriend after some 40 years at her son's wedding in Bali. Am back now and back at full attention at M-i-V as well as WEP, where the winners' post is live, go check it out to see who and what won the June Challenge, the creativity was exceptional this round. So blown away!


For the rest, I've been writing this series for the better part of June, I thought the milestone should be dedicated to her who I celebrate and miss everyday with a greater intensity than the day before. This doesn't in any way feel like grief, just a quiet teasing out of various memories that give shape and meaning to my life overall. It started with that vintage toaster and moved through various other stuff from half a century ago to now and got embedded into this series. So I thought I'd post a few of them here. 


That's not her first kitchen of course, but that's the very first one I remember, which was in New Delhi in a three storey stand-alone residence and at least twice, probably three times the size of her last kitchen in her flat in Calcutta. Do you remember your mother's kitchen from your childhood? Any particular gadget come to your mind? 


Hope your summer/season is going smooth and well. 





9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you.
    I remember my mother's wooden spoon. Worn smooth through handling, stained a deep, rich brown. Even the chip that came away from the bowl now has no rough edges. And it graces my kitchen now. Stirring dishes with love. Hers and mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a gorgeous image - the chip has no rough edges! Such a huge, priceless metaphor! Thank you for sharing that preciousness here.

      Delete
  2. Deeply moving.
    I haven't seen a toaster like that.
    I knew someone who made toast on a bent rack with a handle, held over a gas stove. The toast smelled and tasted like gas though, and after that, I didn't try toast again for several years.
    July 4 is Alice in Wonderland Day, a commemoration of when the story was first told to the Liddell sisters by Lewis Carroll in 1862.

    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. The rack type toaster was also common in my childhood for the older kitchens which didn't have electric gadgets - my grandmothers' for instance, they both cooked on charcoal/coal based ovens. The carousel kind I think came in the 40-50s and then by 60s had trickled to India...I didn't know about the July 4th being Alice in Wonderland Day, always associated it with USA Independence! :)

      Delete
  3. teasing out of memories - oh, you captured it. It's not grief anymore. It's dreams. It's a special food. It's July 4th and my mom loved fireworks. Just little things. Yours is still quite fresh, but thanks for sharing your mother with us and with your poems. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the little things - they make the greatest of memories, don't they? Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. Our mothers will always live on in our hearts. As you say, "what I count aren’t the days of her absence," No. You count yourself blessed to have known such a one as her.
    Couldn't help chuckling at toasters where you actually had to turn the toast.
    Glad your time in Bali was so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am that ancient - from a time when you had to turn the toast, haha. Though I have nil memory of that toaster being used...come to think of it. It did lead to an aha moment about why Ma never ever got anything else but a four slice toaster.
      Our mothers do live on - beyond us also, through their grandchildren and the lives they touched. We are lucky that the weight of their presence is way more than that of their absence in our lives.

      Bali was beyond awesome.

      Delete
  5. Hi Nila - we had an Aga ... so I remember the toast between two racks, put on the Aga hotplate, the lid brought down, the toast toasted and it was delicious ... much nicer than electric toasters! - on the other hand toast made over a live fire is better. You've brought back memories ... and mine only left us 11 years ago ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete