Sunday 7 July 2024

No high alert

 



I don’t have to close my eyes to see your face,

it’s in passing clouds, in each clod on the road,

it’s been outlined in the rise and fall of days –

as winters have frozen, as springs have thawed.

 

As summers have stormed in with their fangs bared,

as the lissom rains have twirled on the ground.

I hear your voice in the soft, whispered prayers

of the sea breeze in trees that it weaves around.

 

I don’t have to prime myself body and mind

I don’t have to take any extra care,

to sharpen my senses for symbols and signs.

Wherever I reach out blind – you’re always there.

 

However great the time and space we’re apart,

you’re with me still – nothing needs a high alert.





A scheduled post - because I'm on a short break in the Nilgiris but I'm reluctant to let anything disrupt the hard-fought fortnightly schedule of posting here. Fortnightly? is that archaic? I never see people use it, come across it anywhere in writing either, unless it's 'period' writing. Ennyway. I digress.


What I meant to write was that I'm quite unsure how to label this poem - all love poetry feels like something else too, to me - deeper than the glib labels words define. However, the lines have come about because of an old 1970s photo a childhood friend posted on a social media platform. I oohed and aahed over it, I'm a sucker for old snaps. It struck me later that I've managed to remain in contact somehow through all the intervening years with all the people captured in that photograph, though we each are continents apart at this exact moment and have been so through the major part of our individual lives. 


Should poems be labelled to reflect their source of inspiration? On a different note, isn't that - that I'm still able to be in touch with them - an ineffable blessing and a celebration deeper than words? 


Hope your month has begun well, have a wonderful July. 


6 comments:

  1. Most definitely a blessing. A HUGE blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I use fortnight/ly regularly - but like you, realise that it is note widely utilised now. Perhaps because it is singularly British English, and the world appears to have adopted the American version? I did actually meet someone not so very long past who didn't know what it meant! And I am in touch with precisely one person from childhood days, so I am in awe of your connectedness. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That you've maintained contact is a small miracle - and your great ability to keep relationships going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much of my poetry inspiration comes from photos so I do often note the provenance of the inspiration. Staying in touch with old friends is difficult with so many relocations over the years. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. I am very lucky to still be in touch with childhood friends. Oh, your poems just stir my soul. You capture emotions I did not know I had. Kudos, my friend. And enjoy your time wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nila - fortnightly ... I do use it. Poetry is something I should get into - but so much else to do ... however blogging friends always entice and particularly yours with 'your way with words' - I love the educative twist you give the poems and their narrative. I've ordered a Leonard Cohen one from the library ... I await it. I used to be in touch with 'everyone', now not so much (after my mother died) ... but that's fine - bloggers have taken over, also no children or hubby leaves me free to go off in other directions. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete