Monday 9 March 2020

not really fond of capitals




when I think of it, I'm not so fond of capitals -
okay, maybe a couple, maybe half a dozen
at the most, there's home of course, goes without saying,
and some more around the mediterranean

but not those shouty ones that stand guard with their arms
at attention before each stanza, each sentence,
why must they be so strict about marking the start?
is it so clear always - the beginnings and ends?

do you know where this thought stopped and that one rose
like a mist from the waves? the horizon and sea
merge so often into one, but in any case
one's fluid and the other's imaginary.

go look for the end, there's no clear line in the sand
just a band of wetness between the sea and land.







14 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    this made me smile so much... I get very annoyed with my word-processing when, hitting 'enter' to start a new line, it automatically Capitalises!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am smiling and nodding along. Capitals only appear in my head to shout at me.
    And certainly the segue in my thoughts flows much more like a river than a sharply ordered and defined city block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English is the only language I write which has this Capital problem :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!
    Double entendre much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks. Doublythingy unintended! :) :)

      Delete
  4. exactly...rose like the mist from a wave...love that. And now I emphasize - EXCELLENT in my shouty voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nila - great poem and post ... fun to see. Yes I get irritated too ... but also from predictive text ... if I type something it's probably the way I want it. I try not to shout - except at me ... but like Joanne loved the phrase 'rose like the mist from a wave' ... when I pop down to the lonely sea again, I'll remember that. Take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG predictive text is a whole new peeve! deserves a separate poem of its own :)

      Delete
  6. Reading you after a while now and this poem was pretty clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it. Great to see you back here.

      Delete