Sunday 14 March 2021

Chaturthi

 


Can you get me a garland of white flowers

and also some sandalwood incense please?

I’ve got cotton wicks rolled for my father

a terracotta lamp, reams of memories -

random phrases one after another

a fast spinning medley of layered stories,

and though I can’t speak too clearly this hour

there’s a mind that’s focussed on him, and peace.

 

There’s no sandalwood and no white garlands

you know that he doesn’t need any of these,

and nor do you need any unstitched garments

nor waters from sacred rivers and seas -

put a match to the wick, and cup your hands,

let the flame burn steady and that’ll be peace.





Chaturthi refers to the fourth day funeral rites, observed by a daughter for her father's soul. My father passed last Sunday. He was a pivotal presence in my life - my safety net and also my alpha reader. He read every poem I ever wrote here.


Rest well now, Baba. Rest in eternal bliss. 





7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Raw. Only three months since my own father departed, so I ring in every cell as I read your words and understand your loss. Yes, let the light shine on in your heart... My pranaams and condolence to you and your family. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nila. My heart goes out to you. I ache for and with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father died 21 years ago. Your poem gave me such a feeling of peace. I wish peace for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry - prayers and thoughts for you and your family. That poem is a wonderful dedication to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My deepest sympathy. Lovely poem and salute to your father - no doubt a kind man who was always proud of his daughter. Peace in words and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Nila - so sad to read for you - their departure is always difficult and desperate. This is lovely ... so clearly put together ... I remember your father was so supportive of you. With thoughts and hugs - Hilary

    ReplyDelete