Sunday 13 March 2022

Refracted

 



A specific slant of sunlight, mangoes,

a vase of gerberas one afternoon,

a flute seller piping a marigold tune

above the traffic noise below these windows

 

all flash your smile back to me – this shade, this bloom

was a favourite, the slant reminiscent

of your knuckles, or the words you had sent

skimming across the oceans, or the room.

 

Is this how it’s going to be from now on? -

every trivial thing viewed against the light

of your refracted absence – dark to bright

fanned out in a spectrum, now that you’re gone.

 

How does this rainbow recombine and when

or won’t I see that white beam ever again?






10 comments:

  1. Dear Nila - how very poignant ... and yes

    'How does this rainbow recombine and when
    or won't I see that white beam ever again?'

    Evocative poem ...thank you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think all memories have their own peculiar colour code :) Glad you liked the poem, Hilary. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    ...ah, but is it not from the rainbow that we can know beauty, emotional as that is? As ever, I love your words! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, we can't know the spectrum from white light unless it's refracted.

      Delete
  3. Your words always touch my heart Nila. 'a flute seller piping a marigold tune...' I'll never be able to listen to music without considering color. Beautifully poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories and melodies both feel colour coded to me! Glad you enjoyed the poem, Denise. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. I think it's lovely that colors, aromas, etc give a smile memory. And there's nothing trivial if it sparks a fleeting halo of love. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. The oddest of things bring back the memory of love, the halo of love as you put it so aptly, Joanne. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I loved this poem - both the rhythm and the sentiment. "a vase of gerberas one afternoon,

    a flute seller piping a marigold tune" - fabulous

    ReplyDelete