Sunday 24 July 2022

Closed, but also open

 

Did you know that shop down the corner here?

I went looking for it, but it was closed…

Son, it shut when the lockdown was imposed

and never opened again. How many years

 

have you been away? The last two have changed

so many things – how we work, play, buy and eat,

the number of shops shut down on this street

the entire neighbourhood’s been rearranged

 

a hundred homes upended, windows gone blind

livelihoods destroyed, a war without a war

shutting down our lives, never mind the store

the last couple of years haven’t been kind

 

where have you been, son? Stuck on the other side

of the world, waiting for the plague to subside.




Last two and a half years, I've been treading water as far as writing goes. Posted here regularly of course, and at WEP - these are like breathing, can't imagine life w/o them (Thank you my WEP and blog families!) 

But I made no submissions anywhere. Zero. I wrote plenty...I was just nowhere near up to editing the stuff into submission-worthiness. Hopefully, that out-of-control spell is now broken and I am now open, business as usual. For which I am grateful. 

Check out this link here - Portrait of a Garden, and if you feel able, please share on your sm platforms. Thank you for your support. 


13 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I hear ya - I feel stagnant, creatively... and yet so many others found their inspiration during that time. A juxtaposition of focus... good to hear you are getting back on the track. Now to follow... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creativity requires a certain critical mass of peace. Which has been sorely lacking in my world for sometime now. But enough is enough, - given the situation one must make one's peace with it and within it. All the best for yours.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your garden piece. It made my heart sing and filled me with longing - which the very best of writing so often does. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. The poem is very touching, Nila. This plague has certainly been hard on business along with most other things. It's true you can return to places with no assurance that a favorite shop will still be operating. What sad stories a closed shop can tell.

    And congrats again on your publication. I'm glad you're finding more time to write and submit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem is inspired by a real life event - family I know came back to India after being stuck abroad for two years due to the pandemic and found that their neighbourhood grocers had gone out of business. It's not just a grocery store, these neighbourhood shops are landmarks, they know all their customers by name and have more than a business relationship, witness to our lives really through thick and thin. Painful to see them go.
      Thanks for the msg of congratulations and for your understanding all through. Not so much a time issue but a state of mind. Hopefully better composed now.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nila - I think many of us are feeling 'your way' ... things are opening and closing so quickly - the camaraderie of being part of a group of shoppers - eg chemist, or newspaper - which sells milk - always helpful and cheering. I'm grateful I belong to a few groups ... so camaraderie there too ... but vis a vis war, politics etc - it's not easy to think straight. I'm ok ... and will be - I just feel for those who struggle to adapt. Your poem conjures up life exactly for so many now - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Hilary, an avalanche of changes in the last few years - difficult to wrap one's head around them! Glad you're able to find your place among groups and are okay. Stay well.

      Delete
  5. Your poem captured change with quite the images. It must be how someone feels when let out of jail and the world has moved on. So many subtle and big changes. I'm still being surprised as I round a corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pandemic has been a prison for each one of us though in marginally different ways. Glad you enjoyed the poem and the garden piece.

      Delete
  6. oh - and a "musical of liquid beauty". I liked that image in your garden piece.

    ReplyDelete