Monday, 14 September 2026

Can't Pin It Back on the Map


Screengrab from the net. Credit where due.

 



It feels consequential. Like small talk

isn’t small. Like the sharpening winds have brought

more than cusp seasons. Memories of smoke.

The varieties of ash and dust that choke throats.

 

We both wear black and white. Ordinary, spare.

Her eyes are haunted. And I instantly know

another tower has imploded somewhere,

entire lifetimes have telescoped in one go.

 

She rises, lets me have the seat. I accept.

Going far? No, just a couple more blocks.

Smoke and ashes are our eyes. Not much left.

And the texture no longer feels like small talk.

 

She squares her shoulders. Adjusts her rucksack straps.

Some things once lost can’t be pinned back on maps.



~~~




Last week was the 25th anniversary. Quarter century. Enough to bring some long range perspective. 

I spent most of these 25 years in the Middle East. I was in Bahrain, at home with my infant son on the day. The baby was having his afternoon nap, I was having my afternoon coffee and TV. Awful, searing, unforgettable images. Three thousand people dead, the worst terrorist attack of all time.

The retribution was massive, massively out of proportion and affected the region I was in closely. Since 2001, the global war on terror has claimed 4.5 million lives, displaced another 38 million. And now on the anniversary, classified files have been released that show there was ample intelligence that something terrible was coming.  

Twenty five years on, the world is still at war, US is still at war. 

The question is - has the world been made safer? Are we ever getting peace?




8 comments:

  1. While I won't say what needs to be done to Iran, that war does need to come to an end. It's killing us here in the US.
    Such a terrible day. The relatives of the victims are still trying to find peace and justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wars are killing us all. The sooner they end the better. Iran and Ukraine and also the endless conflict in Israel/Palestine.

      Delete
  2. Then there's Sudan and on and on and on. Actually killing, starving, murder. They can' soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've lived pretty close to Sudan for sometime and seen what war does. There are actually over 50 ongoing conflicts worldwide.

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    There are conflicts and skirmishes in many places - but only those that immediately affect life in the 'west' tend to get reported; and even then, now rarely in the headlines, so common have they become. I despair... YAM xx (who is also ropable with Blogger, because posts are not getting updated on the reader or blogrolls and am having to trawl around to see who has posted..... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way the media skews the narrative is another conflict zone altogether. I'm sorry that you're having issues with Blogger. Hope it's sorted now.

      Delete
  4. Your poem is perfect. In 2001, we had just returned from a really fun NYC week. The attacks struck my core - we had just walked there, seen the people, etc. You ask questions that we can't seem to answer...
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been traumatic having your memories vaporised by tragedy on a monumental scale. We are caught up in an endless cycle of violence and war.
      Stay well.

      Delete