Wednesday 9 April 2014

like an epipHany



is for Haiku





The haiku is a traditional Japanese verse form, in the original it consists of 17 syllables distributed over three lines of 5-7-5 counts.   It consists of colourful imagery drawn from nature, pairs two different images with a break at the end of the first/second line, marked by a word that often depicted season or time.  Rhyme is not necessary.


These rules have got fuzzier as the form has been adapted and adopted into English.  Variations exist, but the 5-7-5 format is mostly unchanged.  The season word, the “turn” at the second line may or may not be dropped. 


The haiku should feel like it has captured one transient moment in nature. Like a mini epiphany come to the reader, to be read in one single breath.


Here is the one I wrote for this challenge:


Cold hard nickel coin
tossed in the blue hat in hand -
the foggy dawn’s broke.






Posted for the A-Z Challenge.





7 comments:

  1. Hey so I've always wondered about a Haiku, does it always have to describe something about nature? I've often read reader Haikus that have other subjects as well. I often find myself confused by this.
    I've also read about there being specific sounds or contrasting words to be used in the last two lines.
    if these points are not mentioned yet someone writes a three line poetry, let's say suppose about completely different, would it technically be a haiku or another form?
    I'm sorry i just didn't know who to ask :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditionally, yes. Those are all technical requirements for haiku. If it's not about nature, then it is technically a senryu rather than a haiku, but rules etc are there as guidelines only, as far as I am concerned, each poet does their own thing, and so they should.
      Thanks for the question and the support. and congrats! on the award :)

      Delete
    2. Oh I see senryu it is then. I've been meaning to learn Japanese poetry forns for a while now, but don't know if I shall find a teacher any where In Mumbai. I'm not even sure if they do have any classes any where. The internet is great for knowledge but then again there's so many wrong concepts online.
      And you're very welcome :D

      Delete
  2. Ooh I've nominated you for the sunshine award :D
    http://midnightscribbless.blogspot.in/2014/04/thrice-as-good-sunshine-award.html?m=1

    I hope you accept it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Will head over to yours asap :)

      Delete
  3. I have never attempted a haiku...But I admire when so much in said in so less words...

    Latest A2Z Challenge Post-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your verses and the various forms you keep experimenting with :)

    ReplyDelete