Saturday 10 April 2021

H is for... Hemingway... n ... Happy

 



Hemingway had written somewhere – if two people love each other, there can be no happy ending to it. I think it was in Death in the Afternoon, I’m not sure where I first came across it. It’s been on my mind all day today, ever since the news of the death broke, here around 2 p.m. Death in the afternoon. Though to be perfectly accurate, it actually happened in the morning.

 

I am not a follower or fan of any one of them. I do have an inexplicable interest in Henry VIII and his first two wives and Tudors generally, but modern kings and queens don’t really grab me all that much. But still. Who can remain unmoved at the ending of a love story of 73+ years? You'd have to be absolutely stony hearted not to feel for the bereaved, never mind how old HRH was or how expected the ending. I know from experience that no matter the predictability of the end, when it happens it is  still a huge shock to the system.


More than the natural empathy one feels as a spouse, however, there is a heightened sense of things coming to a close. A vague panic-cum-sadness at the recognition of an inexorable change of guard that's occurring. The WWII generations and the Partition memory keepers are going, mostly gone. Gone from my own tiny private sphere certainly. And so too from the wider global arena. With every death, a whole host of stories also die. The past becomes more difficult to access. It's unsettling - hard to wrap one's head around. I'd thought I would write about the history of hourglasses and timekeeping and all that, but I'm not feeling sorted enough for that.  





A-Z Challenge 2021  


7 comments:

  1. I am pretty stony hearted as far as the royals are concerned. I do feel the closing of the eras as my parents generation died and now mine is falling away. Definitely puts the passage of time in the front of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. wHoleheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 73 years is a darn long time. No doubt many ups and downs, especially being in the public eye. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. They had a History together..the little nuances of life, however miniscule. Hope in reflection, the Queen reflects on happy moments, and then carries on. I do respect and am in awe of her - no matter any flaws - she's quite a woman. Happy you posted this - they are royals, but Humans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think from where I'm standing, the Duke of Edinburgh was a pretty good ole stick. And that love story was certainly impressive, I mean how much he gave up for her. I hope he got plenty in return. Like many in a commonwealth country, I'm a fan of Queen Elizabeth and the House of Windsor. I'd trust them over our politicians.

    Happy A-Z Nila. This is the first post I've read as have been travelling and no wifi where I'm staying, just imagine. So I'm using my daughter's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same, all the braves, all the witnesses are almost gone... Now it will be more and more, "I have been told" and not "I know, I was there, and I need to tell you the truth".
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    I am no royalist - but I am a Human with compassion and feel condolence towards Her Majesty for the loss of Her Husband. History is something we are experiencing now... and eventually it too will only be read about in books/on screen. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nila - he was married as long as I've lived! I did enjoy and appreciate yesterday's Service - very appropriate I thought. I'm a royalist ... particularly for its so so rich history, which makes me a happy, at times hilarious, Hilary!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete