Monday 3 September 2012

The cup shakes


I carve no wooden images of your face
and neither sit with fingers poised at my ear,
yet the sound of your name in the dark
is moonlight glancing off an unlit chandelier;
it is the desert dawn, without birdsong
a silent wash of colours, gloriously austere.
No images, yet the cup shakes in my hand,
its quicksilver contents tremble with reflections here.
 
I don’t scribble the letters of your name
when I sit alone, I don’t engineer
signs that might make you feel closer,
within my countries somewhere near;
yet the skinfolds of my own knuckles
become your prints, some souvenir
that has been smudged across my hands.
No names, yet what I write is not unclear.

6 comments:

  1. how beautiful is your imagination NB!!!
    This one line says it all ...

    yet the sound of your name in the dark
    is moonlight glancing off an unlit chandelier;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no imagination... fact, saw blue moon couple nights back....slightly moonstruck since then :P But thanks for the compliment :D

      Delete
  2. Dear friend,
    Very deep with a message among each stanza. Yes, you also have a great imagination (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delish Nilanjana Rose. Loved it. My favourite:
    '...yet the sound of your name in the dark
    is moonlight glancing off an unlit chandelier...'

    Over from Andy's blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise for stopping here.
      Btw, hate to point out that the name is Bose, Rose sounds ever so much more romantic :)

      Delete