Sunday 10 April 2022

Home

 



H is for ...Hefting


When I am away, I do not miss your charm
I don’t weep over the beards of banyan trees,
the spikes of straight, but profusely eccentric palms
or the way the paddies shiver in the breeze.


The desert has its bleakness, and its place.
Its magnificence spills over its bare flanks
its vastness controlled with an exact grace
that knows to stop just short of river banks.


So when I am away, I’ve learnt not to long
for your skies, still blue in the darkest night
for the conch shell’s deep-throated, tranquil song
that sets the dawn saffron hour alight.


I’ve learnt to find your face in all landforms
hefting this homelessness of two homes.


Today I'm sharing a truly ancient poem I wrote in 2012 when I was a resident of Egypt.


I'm in and out of airports till 13th, so I might or mightn't be able to post till I get to my final destination and sort out the brain, jet lag, wifi etc. But I'll be back here for the A-Z as soon as possible. 



A-Z Challenge 2022

12 comments:

  1. As always, your poem strums chords my heart resonates to and with. Thank you. I do hope the travelling is as kind to you as it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I saw that desert and the land remembered... safe travels! YAM xx
    H=Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yamini. That desert is unforgettable.

      Delete
  3. Dual life in your heart. You and your poems show the complications. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dual is complicated but doable! Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I need the brain to stay unfried.

      Delete
  5. I'm not usually one to comment on poetry, but this was very good...

    ReplyDelete