Wednesday 27 April 2022

Where

 



W is for…Waterbirds

 

Where are the waterbirds? No seriously, wherever are they? I have seen mynahs and pigeons galore. But no gulls, no gulls! and very few waterbirds generally. Admitted, I haven’t been close to the sea except in the last three-four days. But even so.

 

The Indian or Common Mynah. Present everywhere.

Day before yesterday I spotted what I thought was a glossy ibis feeding close to the seawall at low tide, but it flew away before I could get close enough for a firm i.d. This morning there were two herons fishing in the shallows, one each on either side, not that they were a pair or anything. The tide has been out both mornings when I was walking which is actually great for bird spotting. I walked from one end of the road, which is called Marine Drive, to the other, up and down, before I came back into the hotel – in all I spent nearly an hour out walking beside the water. But no birds, apart from those two. The photos are all on the phone, not clear enough for any conclusive identification, but my guess is as good as anyone’s. I don’t think the bird I saw yesterday is either of these. The shape of the ibis beak is distinctive, though I realise now that it was against the light so any plumage would appear dark.

 

To my left. A White-faced Heron is my hypothesis.

On the grass verge there were the usual flocks of mynahs and pigeons pecking around, dozens of them whirr about in the mornings and evenings. You can hear them chirping from inside the room too. There’s no traffic noises to drown out the birdsong here.  There was a black, crested bird the other day sitting on the chain link fence, again not a close enough shot but that has to be a bulbul, which I understand was introduced to Fiji by the girmitiyas.


To my right. A heron definitely, but could be either a Reef or
a White-faced. I think it's a Reef because the colour was
uniformly dark, whichever way it turned or moved.

 

Fiji is rich in birdlife, it has to be, such a diverse and lush environment, the tropical forests, the hilly terrain and the vast ocean. There are mangroves here as well, which is another ecosystem with its own peculiar lifeforms. There are more than 160 bird species found in Fiji, around half of which are water/sea birds. Most of them are species I have never come across before – but they are all acting super elusive. Patience, as you’ll know if you’ve been reading this blog, is not among my virtues, but I guess it’s never too late to learn some.


Bulbul sitting on the fence. Introduced by the
Indian indentured labourers.

And I’ll have to get the regular camera out, bird shots are impossible on this piddly phone. I don’t know why I am putting off unpacking, there’s no way I can live out of one suitcase for three weeks. Or maybe even more – there’s no trace of the property I am to, ahem, inhabit. Waiting is an expat wife’s middle name. Patience should be too, but it isn’t, at least not this one’s. But then I’m putting my limbotime as I call it, to good use. 





A-Z Challenge 2022

10 comments:

  1. How I would love to see the birds of Fiji.
    And no, I don't do patience well either....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I can't wait. South Pacific birds are super colourful and pretty. I need to get into places less disturbed by human activity I guess.

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    As a keen bird watcher myself, I understand your frustration! I am sure all those missing avians will turn up in due course. Meanwhile, I am impressed with the heron sightings and shall anticipate many more from you! YAM xx
    W=Window

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't claim to be a bird watcher or have any in depth knowledge, but I do like spotting them and taking potshots with whatever camera is handy. :) I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nila - well you made me take a look at birds in Fiji c/o Wiki - interesting varieties and names ... even cuckoo, booby, barn owl, great frigate, orange fruit dove, rail, and a curlew standing on a turtle, vagrants many ... et al ... you'll find them ... so interesting to see your posts - thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a colourful bunch, aren't they? I'm particularly keen on the lorikeets and the fruit doves...Hopefully, with time I'll get to see them

      Delete
  4. Hi - sorry just back from PA so haven't been keeping up on your A to Z. I'll work my way backward. New place, new skill of patience? I bet you'll wander about and discover many new birds that are wonderful to your expat eyes. As for unpacking - no one knows you yet so you can repeat your clothes. I'm enjoying your new adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not unpacking more clothes than necessary here. Don't much care about repeating clothes even with people I know haha...going minimalistic in Fiji.

      Delete
  5. I was at the beach in Tybee, Georgia, USA recently. The seagulls, of which there were several different kinds, were quite pushy. One stood and watched us, calling out to the others what we were doing. I guess. We didn't eat anything because sometimes those seagulls will come in and grab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulls are aggressive and have no manners! They fly quite close to ships and boats and wherever they can find humans eating...so I'm finding the lack of them here quite mystifying. Btw, this morning my breakfast was attacked by a flock of mynahs, fortunately I was quick enough to save it from their clutches. :)

      Delete