Saturday 16 April 2022

Minefield

 


M is for...Mask

 

Air travel over the last two years has become dominated by masks and jabs and tests and certificates. A layer of extra, tedious health procedures shaving a major chunk off the pleasure of travel. Even within the country, different Indian states had different protocols at different times. And international travel, omg! it’s a minefield! At one point of time in 2021, one had to take a test and be covid negative to transit through Heathrow. We had to get a transit visa as well as a negative RT-PCR test to stopover at Singapore a few days ago.


Adding to the mayhem is the frequency with which the protocols change – at one time, airlines were giving free PPE kits to the passengers on the aisle seat. At another, only masks were mandatory. In 2020 and early 2021, there was a 72 hour window for the test for flying to USA, now it is 1 day. Apart from showing proof of vaccination, of course. Every country has it's own little set of rules and protocols. It’s hard to keep up. And it makes planning any travel super fraught.

 

For Fiji, we had not only to take a covid test 2 days before the flight but also prebook a test for 48 hours after landing. Relocations, much as I am used to them, have a stress quotient all their own, the covid protocols spike that off the charts. Our tests were administered yesterday and turned in a negative result. Another thing to be thankful for! Mask protocol has been changed to optional here except in closed, indoor spaces where social distancing cannot be observed. So my mask is coming off after two years and heavens, does it feel marvellous or what?! Hello, lipstick!


 

A-Z Challenge 2022

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your mask free time. And hooray for a negative result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Making hay while the sun shines, don't know when the mask mandate will flip again!

      Delete
  2. I still feel strange going into a group of unmasked people, in or outside. Feels like a journey back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does rather feel strange. But I am surprised at how easily I've transitioned back to a maskless state!

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    Like Kristin, I would feel uncomfy in a place where folk are without their masks... the transition back to maskless and mingling is challenging! YAM xx
    N=Noble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely get that! I would have thought I'd have found it difficult too, but just glad now. Not much point my wearing a mask if everyone else isn't anyway, so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your mask free time. Ours came off and now my state, New York State (United States) has two sub variants of the Omicron and we are a COVID hotspot. And I have an outpatient procedure at the hospital on Tuesday...ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. I have family in NY and NJ, it is concerning the fluctuations and the resurgence of the variants. The pandemic isn't over, I'm just glad of a breather.
      All the very best for your procedure, hope it goes off smoothly. Stay safe and get well soon.

      Delete
  5. enjoy your time. I'm flying to PA on Tuesday and we still have mask requirements. I am okay with it. Airplane coughing made me nervous in the olden days - many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm super okay with all the mask mandates and every other covid protocol/regulation, just that wearing a mask in hot weather is really not my favourite thing. So I'm glad to be able to take it off. Fully expecting I'll be required to pull it back on sometime in the future.

      Have a great trip, stay safe and well and enjoy your time with your Dad.

      Delete