Monday 25 April 2022

Up

 


U is for…Underwater

 

Yesterday we checked out of the Nadi hotel and came to a Lautoka one. This reduces hubby’s two-way commute by about 40 km every day. But we’re booked here till early May only, then we move to Denarau which is farther beyond Nadi again. So I am not sure how this will help, but mine is not to argue why…the wheels of company practices grind exceedingly slow and exceedingly baffling…

 

Because of the forgotten suitcase, I repacked everything and took an unconscionable time to recheck every inch of each cabinet and drawer where things I’d unpacked might lurk. I am haunted by the fear of leaving something – test results or vaccine cards or something even more important, behind next and being stranded in a foreign country without the regulation papers.



 

Yesterday when we fetched up at Lautoka, the tide was high and the weather was fine. Today though it was a drizzle-sunny combo, which produced a rainbow first thing I saw in the morning. Unfortunately, underneath it, instead of the mandatory pot of gold or any other type eye candy was a ugly-functional no-frills warehouse type building. But still, a rainbow is always beautiful whatever it arches over - it felt like a divine omen.

 


It cleared up briefly as we went down to breakfast so I took a quick walk after. The tide had ebbed. As the water had receded the seawalls that were underwater yesterday were exposed. This too felt more significant that just rocks emerging from water - a reality check. An old frayed tyre had surfaced along with other debris. It happens with every place, every relocation, this high tide/low tide change of perspective and the seawall coming into view. Not unexpected. 


There was a whole flock of common mynahs hopping around on the low barrier and pecking at the grass verge. I saw a glossy ibis hunting off the rocks of the seawall but it flew away before I could get a shot, I am still with the phone and haven’t unpacked the big lens camera.  




It's been raining, sometimes in torrents, sometimes in drizzles, ever since I got back into the room. The weather too feels like a metaphor, the promise of the early rainbow swamped by incessant rains. Any place this green would have to have a substantial amount of rains, stands to reason. It's a good thing I'm not hung up about sunny weather, living in desert climates for decades has slow-seeded in me an uncommon appreciation for rain, but at times the most indefatigable optimism is not enough to stop the mood from ebbing out like the tide.  


The way everyone I’ve met so far has been telling me not to go walking after dark and/or alone, not to speak to strangers as they’ll make out from my Hindi I’m not local, not do this, nor do that, is rather upsetting. Being on my own doesn’t faze me, I can manage with my own company quite well. Expat wives and trailing spouses mostly have to, I’ve had long practice. But security is another matter altogether. Daunting.


Five books and very little solitary exploration – this is going to be an unprecedented challenge! But I’m up for it. Maybe the universe is telling me to complete my third manuscript of poems? We shall see...

 




A-Z Challenge 2022

13 comments:

  1. Hi Nila - I hadn't appreciated the security aspect ... sad. I guess drafting up some poems, or essays, or memoir might be a way to go - as you mention your 5 books are being whittle-read so quickly ...

    I know what you mean by the enjoyment of cloudy skies, and varieties of rain can be really satisfactory at times - I'd had enough of the hot South African sun and promptly came back to a really hot summer! Now - I could do with some more heat and sun - British type!! Cheers Hilary ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rain is something to be celebrated. I took rain for granted - something that happened regularly and caused a bit of inconvenience in the city, till I went to Bahrain. Some Bahrainis actually travel to India during monsoons to enjoy the rains. That changed my perspective a bit. :)

      Delete
  2. Rainbows (how ever brief) ALWAYS lift my spirits. And it sounds as if yours needs lifting.
    Another manuscript of poems? My greedy self says yes please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, mine too! I love them. But they have been out of my orbit for 25 years, obviously. Fiji will be different. Hopefully lots of rainbows and my spirits lifted at regular intervals. :)

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you can find a way to get out now and then safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you will make a local friend who will go out and about with you. But a book always sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Ah yes, this is what I was kinda hinting at when you first announced Fiji - that it's not necessarily as peaceful as its tropical setting would suggest. Nevertheless, I have no doubt that you will find your way of managing that and getting the most out of the experience of being there! YAM xx
    U=Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a tourist for a few days and living/working in a place is always chalk and cheese. I've discovered that pretty early on in life, therefore moderate my expectations accordingly.

      Going into Bahrain or Egypt, it was the same, don't do this, can't do that, usual list of dire predictions.

      It's not the places, or the warnings, it's me. Something has shifted, I'm letting this usual expat-y doom and gloom affect my mood and behaviour. That wouldn't have happened even five years ago. I need to reset the brain back to default factory mode!

      Delete
  6. A new book sounds good, Nila. I never felt unsafe in Fiji, even though it's under marshal law. Everyone was helpful. But there may be some point re you being mistaken for a local, or not. Follow your finely-honed instincts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no longer under military rule I think and elections are due to be held this year end. I too find people are helpful and friendly, so the horror stories seem to sit oddly with that. As you advise, I shall use my own gut feelings and expat antenna and be super sensible :)

      Delete
  7. Stay safe. I'm sure common sense is the best way to go. After all of your moves and travels, you know what to do. And shake it up - finish up your poetry book, keep exploring new things. Fiji is a whole new level of life far, far away....

    ReplyDelete