Monday 11 April 2022

Invitation

 



I is for...Imagine


I is an easy one, isn't it? - I, is, in, it, you can do anything with it, go anywhere you want to, imagine, dream up the most surreal scenarios. 


I'm logging in from Singapore, where we are spending a night with our niece and her family, flying onward tomorrow.  Here are some photos -  of the early dawn landing and of my immediate surroundings.  The tower blocks themselves mimic the letter of the day.









The exit out of India, well, it wasn't uneventful. We had four large cases and two cabin size. Hubby decided to pack one of the latter for the stopover with the things we would need for the night and the onward flight, which then got happily forgotten in some last minute confusion. 


We discovered that one of the small cases was missing after we reached the airport and of course there was no chance of going back and getting it - it'd take two hours for the round trip. So we stood there and took stock - tickets, vaccine certs, RT-PCR results, visa papers, passports, hubs' essential daily medications - all were with us in the hand baggage fortunately, phew! Nothing to stop us from taking the flight, so...in we went and here we are. 


What seems like a catastrophe at first sight might turn out a minor inconvenience on second glance.  I am minus a few items to get me through a year in Fiji. Some of my favourite loungewear/brushes have got left behind. Left behind, I remind myself, not lost forever. 


This too is a life lesson - not to overpack, to declutter, pare down, take only as much as I need. To get out of the habit of panic-grabbing more than strictly necessary. Can I make do with one less pair of PJ's for a year? Pooh! - of course.


The universe has sent me a timely reminder not to be silly and insatiable. It's inviting me to cut out the inessentials, to introspect and prioritise the important, forget the fluff. A change in focus to match the change in living quarters. For that too, I'm thankful.








12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    It is so easy to forget that, for most things, we can purchase at point of destination, should there prove to be an actual lack. Otherwise, as you say, it was surplus anyway! At least you didn't face as I did face on one occasion (pre-COVID) entering an airport to realise that I actually didn't have my passport with - in all my years of travel I have NEVER been without that and the 200 mile round trip to get it was somehow managed before having to use it. I'm still not quite sure how... Imagine that!!! YAM xx
    I=Introspection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have left passport, tickets, keys, baby stroller behind on different occasions but thankfully have found out before much distance was covered and have been able to go back and get them.

      Delete
  2. How fortunate that it was the Inessentials which got left behind. My much travelled brother has twice left his passport behind.
    Happy and safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Reached final destination safe and sound, albeit minus the inessentials :)

      Delete
  3. Perhaps it really was a lesson from the Universe. Thankfully you had the essentials you needed for your travel. Those first two pictures are fantastic, especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe things happen for a reason. I was more frazzled by the actual case getting left than having to make do without its contents, now I'm okay it's nothing worse.

      Glad you enjoyed the first two photos.

      Delete
  4. The shots over the water are beautiful.
    Sorry one box got left behind. That's what stores are for though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, retail therapy is a sure shot remedy for the shock of leaving things behind!

      Delete
  5. The adventure has begun and you are improvising as you go. I bet they have some nifty PJs in Fiji, or perhaps not necessary in an island paradise. So many changes to imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's a sign from the universe to spend all my time here in beachwear!

      Delete
  6. Family is so handy to have when traveling. To stay with and wish us well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family is great to have - travelling and staying put. That's the one thing expats miss out on - family support.

      Delete