Tuesday 26 April 2022

Valuable

 


V is for…Vax

 


We got our booster shots a week ago at a Lautoka health centre. We went in with our Indian passports and our Bahraini vaccine certificates and drove the staff out of their minds. Who takes the first two shots in one country, goes back to their home country, does not take the booster there and then blithely relocates unboostered to a third country during a pandemic?! Insane or what?

 

We explained that the Indian system has not yet developed an option for returning NRIs to register, (story of my life, btw! the step-motherly treatment of NRIs covers entire sectors, not just vaccines)  and anyway India isn’t giving boosters to everyone yet. Boosters are only available for 60+ so we don’t qualify. Incidentally the Bahraini app on my phone keeps flashing me reminders about how I am due for a booster since November last, they are boosting adults after six months. After some more explaining and patiently waiting while our details were entered in three separate systems, we got the shots and the cards which are now more valuable than rubies.

 

Fiji health infrastructure is basic, expats get health insurance to cover emergency medical travel into Australia/NZ as a matter of course. The Lautoka primary health centre reminded me of the health centres in Northern Nigeria 40 years ago. The same unplush wooden benches in the waiting rooms, whirring pedestal fans, no token systems, long waiting times. The road in front crumbling away to a dirt track, the parking lot overgrown with weeds. The nursing staff in contrast were excellent, both courteous and efficient. Suavely professional.

 

With my first shot of Astra-Zeneca I had a pretty severe backlash - fever, chills, headache, delirium, totally wiped out for a day. Second shot was a breeze. But this booster was Moderna, so I expected my system would react the same way as the first time, and took the pills before the reaction got fully underway. But even so I felt feverish, washed out and spent the next day in bed.

 

For all its lack of sophisticated healthcare facilities, Fiji has done a pretty good job of the vaccination. Around 76% of the total population has got at least one dose, 70% have got the full protocol.  Fiji went into lockdown, twice I think, with the one in April ‘21 being prolonged for two months. It affected the tourism sector, as also the availability of goods, business slumped.

 

The quarantine restrictions have now been lifted for fully vaccinated travellers. But there are testing requirements in place, both pre-boarding and post-landing. Masks are generally not being worn, and I have somehow happily transitioned to a maskless state without much unease.  I thought after nearly two years of constant mask wearing I’ll have trouble reverting back to normalcy. But thankfully, that hasn’t been an issue.

 

Victory over the virus is still some way away – have you seen the vaccination trackers for Nigeria (11%)  or Egypt (44%)? Africa as a whole (21%)? abysmal doesn’t begin to sum it! Till the world can vaccinate a large chunk of its entire population, the pandemic will not be over. 


View from the balcony





A-Z Challenge 2022

10 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Agreed and we all need to remain on guard. Masks, hands, distance will remain necessary for some time yet in my view... glad you had not more than a day of discomfort from the booster though! YAM xx
    V=Veritas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need to get those shots into the less affluent nations!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nila - oh gosh ... the sore throats you must both get?! I'm at the bottom age of my group, so await my 3rd 'go' ... all well - I'm really fortunate health wise ...

    Take care and well done for pushing through ... and thanks for the info update re different countries. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're okay! So far no soreness anywhere except the arm :) And I'm cool with the reaction, it conclusively settles that the vax is bona fide, otherwise who knows what's being injected into my arm..

      Delete
  3. We got our second boosters last Friday only tired and sore arm. Pfizer. USA. Glad you got yours. Still masking indoors. Avoiding crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite sure who's this, feels like one of my folks from the USA, caseloads are scary high there...so glad you got your boosters! Keep safe and keep distancing. <3

      Delete
  4. Despite my compromised immune system the vaccinations seem to have hit you harder than me. I am now waiting for my second booster having edged up the queue on disability grounds. Despite restrictions being largely lifted here I am happy to stay masked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the reactions are quite arbitrary, aren't they? My husband, who has a heap of comorbidities and therefore I assume is more immune compromised than me, doesn't react at all to the vaccine. Water off a duck's back...Masks are no longer mandatory here, I was told at the Sleeping Giant. Not much point in my wearing a mask if no-one else is. I'm still avoiding crowds though. Not comfortable enough to get into a cinema or show.

      Delete
  5. Vax - glad you are boosted and came out of it okay. Was just in PA and helped my dad through a week of Covid after my brother and his wife caught it. All have vax and did okay. Dad had a rough week, but he's alive to tell the tale. Whew! I am okay so far - fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear what you all have been through, but glad that everyone's okay now. Thank god for the vaccine! You take care of yourself and stay well.

      Delete