Friday 5 April 2024

Determined

 


I've participated in  the Challenge every year since 2014, so this would have been my 11th year. However, various offline challenges through the last three months have meant that I'm nowhere sorted enough this year. The main spanner in the works being vision issues and consequent restricted screen time. Therefore...I'm going to be popping in as and when able, with whatever I have handy. Also not adding my name to the master list this year as I'm not sure of how much reading I can get done. Thank you in advance to all visitors and commenters. 


Since my last post was based on 'ghat,' specifically the river ones, (btw, ghat also means a mountain pass in India, but the overwhelming association for me is always the river bank) I thought I might put up some pictures of the more famous ones from Varanasi. These are from a trip about two years ago.  


A plaque describing the Dashashwamedh Ghat. 




The Ganges from Dashashwamedh Ghat. Always a great Energy there.




A different one that fits. Varanasi has more than 80 ghats.





The raised daises from which the Ganga Aarati is offered every dawn and dusk.


For those unfamiliar, aarati is a Hindu devotional ritual in which fire and incense are offered to a deity. As I mentioned before, the Ganges is sacred to Hindus. It is enormously significant in India, considered a goddess and called Ma Ganga or Ganga Maiiya -  Mother Ganges. Equated to the Divine, in short. 

Ganga Aarati in progress at the Dashahwamedh Ghat.




Daylight view of the ghats at Varanasi. 





Ghats after dark

I do tend to click a lot of photos! - wherever I may be. My devices are all exploding with stacks of them, as I never get around to deleting the extras. No system to select and file them away somewhere either.  They're splattered all over the desktop and phone. 

However, I've rather  enjoyed sifting through these ones, memories of an awesome trip. Varanasi is super ancient, one of the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world. Its history is rich and deep, going back more than 2500 years. It's a microcosm of India, a total melting pot - a syncretic culture with Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims and Christians, all doing their own thing, having fun coexisting and enriching life. 

A few steps away from the ghats. St Thomas' Church,
with a sadhu - a Hindu monk, in the foreground. 


Varanasi is a revered pilgrimage spot for Hindus of course, but the city is more than just a faith based destination. It is also a modern educational hub and a centre for silk and carpet weaving. Also of arts and literature from its very inception. It gives its name to a particular school of Indian classical music, it's the location of heavy engineering industries and last but not the least - a foodie paradise. Many prominent people, from the Buddha to Bismillah Khan have been associated with Varanasi. Definitely a must visit - if you're in India.


That's my D n E and that's all, folks. Hope you've enjoyed the photos. Happy A-Zing! - if you're participating. And happy cusp season to you, if you're not! 



Posted for the A-Z Challenge 2024


2 comments:

  1. You are, as my father said of me, more stubborn than stains. Thank you for this beautiful post, packed with rabbit holes for me to explore. Look after yourself please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up Ghat. Now I know. Your photos are so atmospheric. The heat, the birds. So much I will never get to see.

    ReplyDelete